Our COVID-19 Plan
Update November 18, 2021
During our latest meeting with the City of Austin, the collaborative decision was made to move the Austin Marathon to the alternative date of April 25, 2021, and modify the event to be a half marathon, 5K, and 1- mile run. This date was chosen with the confidence of Austin Public Health that we could coordinate and plan an in person event.
While we are disappointed to not be able to celebrate our 30th Anniversary in 2021 as originally planned, we still have a great event in the works for April. We will be extending our 30th Anniversary celebrations through 2022 so that we can properly include our full 26.2 distance.
Participants have been emailed with their options to transfer to the new event date or activate their option for free deferral to 2022, 2023, or 2024. If you did not receive an email and it is not in your junk folder, please email us and we will have the form resent to you.
The health, safety, and well-being of our team, participants, and volunteers is always our first priority and we take that responsibility very seriously. Our goal has always been to produce our events with the highest level of safety and we will continue to do that while also adhering to or even surpassing new City, State, and Federal COVID-19 guidelines.
As we approach race day we will publish more on the specific safety steps and precautions that will be implemented. It is important to remember that this is an evolving situation and is subject to change as conditions and best practices evolve.
Thank you for understanding and supporting local events.
Possible Event Scenarios
We have secured a new date of April 25, 2021.
Two separate scenarios for a modified event are being planned to depend upon the Austin-Travis Risk Based Guidelines on the date of the event.
As large scale events start to open back up we are closely following what is working and what is not working. With time to plan we are focused on following the best practices that fit the situation at the time based on the event status discussed above.
Personal responsibilities will be communicated to athletes, staff, volunteers, vendors, and sponsors prior to the event.
Athletes will receive exact COVID-19 protocols via email several times before each event. These protocols will also be published on event pages and social media. Staff and vendors will all be trained and provided documentation on these protocols.
Our best practices will continue to evolve based on the knowledge available to us at the time.
- Pre-Event screening of all staff, vendors, participants, and volunteers.
- Reduced touchpoints to minimize physical interactions.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the event including packet pickup, higher traffic areas, and in and around portable toilets.
- Increased safety and hygiene practices for staff and volunteers including the use of masks, gloves, and regular hand sanitization.
- Event signage will promote safe social distancing practices including maintaining 6 feet of distance between others.
- Athletes will be required to wear a face-covering in designated mask zones at the event.
- Dedicated lanes and waiting spots will be provided to aid in physical distancing in areas where athletes congregate such as packet pickup, start line, and restrooms.
- Signage will be in place at events to reinforce our COVID-19 protocols.
- Athletes will be encouraged via pre-race communication to ask questions prior to event day in order to decrease staff and volunteer interactions at the event.
- Athletes will be encouraged to follow physical distancing throughout the race, especially when passing others, including the public.
Transfer & Deferral Policy
We understand the financial commitment that you are undertaking and therefore we keeping our deferral policy in place for the April 25, 2021 event. While we cannot offer refunds in the case that the event is canceled, we hope that the options below will help you keep the Austin Marathon as part of your goals in 2021.
We are a small business and commit financially to all of the expenses related to a race well in advance of the actual race date. Thank you for understanding and supporting High Five Events and local events.
Event Cancellation due to COVID-19
We are offering free deferral to participants if the Austin Marathon is canceled as a result of COVID-19.
- Entry fees & VIP tickets can be deferred to 2022, 2023, or 2024.
- Merchandise sales will defer with registration.
- Charity Donations and Membership Sales (Dell Children’s, Marathon Kids, ARC Memberships) are final at the time of sale. No refunds and no deferrals.
New Virtual Events
We have introduced virtual events for all distances in 2021. Participants can choose to change their registration to virtual at any time with no additional fees.
The price difference in registration will not be refunded once you switch to virtual.
All virtual registrations made before March 1st will receive their packets before race day. Packets for virtuals that register/transfer after February 1st will be mailed 30 days following the event.