High Five Events introduces the third round of accepted athletes for the 2018 Austin Marathon®. Runners not accepted into the Elite Athlete Program are still invited to run in the Elite Field. The Elite Athlete Program’s focus is to provide a clean and competitive environment, discover emerging talent, and help the existing talent pool reach Olympic standards. The Program’s Year Two prize purse totals $20K, with $15K for the marathon and $5K for the half marathon.
The third round of 2018 marathoners include:
- Brian Harvey – Elite Athlete Program (2016 Olympic Trials Marathon Qualifier)
- Whitney Thornburg – Elite Athlete Program (2017 United Airlines NYC Half – 1:16:29)
- Travis Morrison – Elite Athlete Program (7th place 2017 Pittsburgh Marathon – 2:19:45)
- Caitlin Batten – Elite Athlete Program (female champion 2015 Kiawah Island Marathon – 2:49:00)
- James Sjostrom – Elite Field (10th place 2017 Columbus Half Marathon – 1:12:32)
- Kyle Taylor – Elite Field (2nd place 2016 Best Damn Race Safety Harbor – 1:15:24)
- Sky Canaves – Elite Field (female champion 2016 Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon – 1:25:21)
The third round of 2018 half marathoners include:
- Anita Perez – Elite Athlete Program (2016, 2020 Olympic Trials Marathon Qualifier)
- Anthony Solis – Elite Athlete Program (2016 Olympic Trials Marathon Qualifier)
- Jennifer Angles – Elite Field (half marathon debut; ran XC and track for University of Kansas – ‘17)
“I was accepted into the 2017 Elite Athlete Program and looked forward to running the marathon earlier this year when I had to withdraw at the last minute due to a foot injury,” said Batten, whose marathon PR (2:49:00) was set at the 2015 Kiawah Island Marathon. “I love the city of Austin and am really excited to get another chance to run this year.”
Read about the first and second round of accepted elite runners. Including today, the marathon has accepted a total of eight runners into the Elite Athlete Program and 10 have been invited to participate in the Elite Field. The half marathon has accepted four runners into the Elite Athlete Program and 10 have been invited to participate in the Elite Field. Applications are arriving daily and more than 100 have already been submitted. The fourth round of athletes will be announced next week. Applications are still being accepted and elite runners can apply on the Austin Marathon’s website. Athletes that meet the program’s standards and are accepted will be given one comp entry to the 2018 Austin Marathon or half marathon, reimbursement eligibility, and standards bonuses.